While I don’t play too many video games now… besides Rock Band and the occasional FUMBBL game, in the past, I was all about the video games. I think once controllers started to come with more than 3 buttons, that was my downfall. Way too complex for my feeble mind to grasp.
Let’s take alook back on some games I enjoyed in my childhood thru my teen years. Some you will have never heard of.
Mid 80s, I was playing a ton of Commodore 64. While my friends got their first NES systems a few years before I did, I was content to know that my pops could get me pirated software of any game I could possible imagine for the C64. I loved hacked games. Years before a game genie, hackers already hooked you up with unlimited lives. Brilliant! Check out some of my favorites…. each name is linked to a youtube vid.
- Rocketball – Modelled after the movie Rollerball..it’s a game where you get to elbow people a lot
- Ghost Chaser – Run around chasing ghosts. Cool name. I played it on an emulator not too long ago… it sucked
- Impossible Mission – Stay awhile. Stay forever!!! So many goons hidden behind so many doors!
- Space Taxi – It’s like a real taxi except customers say please. Pad 1 please.
- California Games – It’s like the olympics, except surfing and hackysack
- Maniac Mansion – This game was awesome. Probably my 1st RPG. So addicting. It’s Dr. Fred!
- Street Sports Baseball – My brother and I logged a lot of hours on this game. Picking the team was the best part! BOJO!
Then I moved onto the Commodore Amiga in the late 80s/Early 90s. This time, my dad was acquiring even more games. Games from Japan. Games that made no sense. It was awesome! The Amiga I believe ran off of the same engine as the Sega Genesis but took it computer gaming to a new level for sure. On Episode 24 of the Zlurpcast, you can hear Rick aka Greengears discuss the finer points about why the Amiga kicked ass, but here my picks along with video links…
- Grand Monster Slam – Kicking severed heads into your opponents. Nuff said. From Golden Goblins!
- Great Giana Sisters – A direct copy of Super Mario Brothers…. but it was girls and the graphics were better.
- Lemmings – Everyone knows Lemmings from the PC world. Except it was actually fun on Amiga. Yeah, I said it.
- Secret of Monkey Island – Fun game, along the same lines as Maniac Mansion…except more wise cracks
- Speedball II – If you dig Blood Bowl, you should already know about this awesome futuristic sports game. Brutal Deluxe!
- Another World – The intro blew me away. Just a bad ass game. I don’t think I ever played the sequel to it. I should have.
- Silkworm – Just like the arcade… I played helicopter, my brother was the tank. We killed everything that moved.
- Blood Money – I don’t really like shooters, and watching the vid now, it looks shitty, but for some reason I played this a lot. Cool name tho.
I will admit that I did play console games as well… but since everyone does blogs about old school console games all the time, I’ll just leave you with a few notes/memories from each of the console systems I’ve owned. And no, I don’t have an Xbox 360 and I did not have a Dreamcast. Talk down your gamer boner now.
Atari 2600 – Adventure. Secret code at the end. Anyone know what it says? Also for some reason I remember Keystone Capers being really fun.
Intellivision – B-17 Bomber. I had the voice modulator where it actually says B-17 Bomber. Horrible.
Colecovision – Smurfs was killer. Don’t judge. Also Rocky vs Clubber Lang was a great game, except when my brother would look at my controller to see what punches I was doing.
Nintendo – Super Mario 3 was the pinnacle of console gaming. Not many things have come close to it’s level of awesomeness. Pro Wrestling was shitty but fun.
TurboGrafx-16 – TV Sports Football was great and so was Battle Royale. Bonk was one of the best side scrollers. Also 5 people can play at once on the Turbo Tap!
Sega Genesis – Sonic was cool… Golden Axe was cool…. Pit Fighter was cool (Southside Jim!)… Altered Beast was cool. I remember playing my favs from the arcade on Genesis. A lot.
Super Nintendo – My dad got me a Super Magicom, which originally came from Japan. It allowed you to copy SNES cartridges and put them on floppy disks. This meant, much like computer games, I had a shit ton of SNES games now. I remember getting Mortal Kombat and some dude colored the sweat back into blood, like the arcade had.
Sega Saturn – Street Fighter Alpha 2. I always enjoyed fighting games, but Saturn took everything to the next level. Plus the controller was perfect for SF. 3 buttons on top, 3 on bottom.
Playstation 1 – I played a lot of Metal Gear Solid. I believe Psycho Mantis even read my mind and saw (on my memory card) what other games I like! PaRappa was also bad ass.
Nintendo 64 – Super Mario Kart and lots of it. And of course, No Mercy. Hands down the best wrestling game of all time. Perfect controller for it!
Xbox- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. It was so awesome. You can watch yourself change into a Dark Side looking mofo after doing some heinous shit.
Playstation 2 – Guitar Hero
Playstation 3 – Rock Band
Do you have old computer and video game memories? Share them below…. or else I chop off your head and kick it for bonus points.